Registered charities whose activities support and encourage the family to work as a cohesive unit in tackling problems that face one or more of its members can apply for grants of between £1,000 and £5,000 (but trustees will consider requests for higher amounts) through the Kelly Family Charitable Trust. The trust has decided to prioritise its funding in favour of charities whose activities involve all or most family members where possible, in initiatives that support and encourage the family to work as a cohesive unit in tackling problems that face one or more of its members. The objective is to reinforce the benefit and support that family members as a unit can give to each other.
The Trust will consider both capital and revenue grants. The Trust is happy to support requests for core funding as well as project-based grants, and actively encourages applications from relatively new organisations to help them become established.
The three areas of activity that the charity wishes to support are:
- Interventions that support families and help them in ways that prevent the fracture of the family unit, eg. practical family support, relationship counselling, mediation.
- Families where sexual abuse, physical abuse, domestic violence, alcohol abuse and drug abuse threaten the integrity of the family unit.
- Prisoners and in particular their families, during and after the period of imprisonment.
The trust prefers to support charities whose income is below £500,000. However, larger charities with pioneering pilot projects will be considered.
Projects supported in the past include:
- “Mosac”, a voluntary organisation that supports all non-abusing parents and carers whose children have been sexually abused.
- Westminster Befriend a Family, which recruits, trains and supports volunteers to befriend individual families under stress and visit them regularly in their homes. The charity’s volunteers can help families where a parent is disabled or has mental health problems, or a child has special needs.
The next closing date for applications is the 1 March 2022.