Sport England has launched a new £5 million fund to help with the reopening and recovery of community-run leisure centres when lockdown ends.
Grants of up to £50,000 will be available through the Community Leisure Recovery Fund to support leisure centres that provide general leisure facilities such as swimming, sports hall, fitness, and health and wellbeing facilities. This fund isn’t designed to support sports clubs or member-only facilities like bowls, tennis or other similar clubs.
The following types of organisations/bodies can’t apply:
- Local authorities
- Town and parish councils
- Leisure trusts or providers operating leisure facilities on behalf of a local authority
- Private leisure facility providers
- Sports clubs
- National governing bodies (NGB) of sport or trust structures developed through NGB initiatives
- Educational establishments
- A commercial/for-profit entity
- An individual or sole trader.
Funding will support the difference between income and expenditure during April to September 2021 and will include a bespoke support package.
Priority will be given to organisations supporting disadvantage and minoritized groups including people on lower incomes, disabled people, people with long-term health conditions, and Black, Asian and minority ethnic communities.
Applications can be submitted between the 6th April 2021 and the 29th April 2021.