The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government is inviting applications from charities, schools and community organisations looking to run a community-led project or projects that will celebrate, commemorate and educate communities about the history of the MV Empire Windrush. Projects supported may feature or commemorate those who arrived on the ship, their contemporaries and descendants, and the contribution of the Windrush Generation to British economic, social and cultural life.
The overall aim of each project must be to have a positive impact in at least one of three areas: celebration, commemoration and education. Projects should also aim to improve community cohesion and relations between different groups.
Learning from previous Windrush Day Grant Schemes, the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government are particularly keen to receive proposals that focus on:
- Recording the memories and testimonies to preserve and share the stories and experiences of the Windrush Generation
- Activities being delivered in partnership with local schools, for example, assemblies, workshops, education trips and creative project work
- Celebratory events for the wider Caribbean community and the Windrush Generation.
Some additional activities for achieving the aims of the scheme could be:
- Educational events, seminars, and lectures
- Collaborating with partner organisations such as local museums and libraries to create historic research including archiving, oral history and public exhibitions
- Education through culturally relevant activities and events
- Exchange visits and programmes
- Religious services
- Public celebrations and community activities
- Performance arts projects
- Cultural programmes and community arts projects.
A total of £500,000 is available to fund events across the country and applications can be made for grants of £2,500 and £25,000.
The Government encourages schools, libraries and other local authority organisations to submit bids in conjunction with their local authority.
Please direct any queries relating to the grant scheme and the application process to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 23:59, on the 10th March 2021.