The Theatres Trust has announced that theatres across the UK can apply for grants of up to £5,000 to address urgent building repairs, improve operational viability, introduce environmental improvements, and enhance physical accessibility. In response to the coronavirus crisis, the scheme will now be able to support theatres to cover the additional costs of reopening after several months’ closure. This can include:
- alterations to circulation spaces to enable social distancing
- changes to ventilation systems
- purchase and installation of Perspex screens and sanitisation stations
- any other equipment and building improvements that support reopening
To be eligible for funding, the theatre must be run by a charity or not-for-profit group that can clearly demonstrate the value capital improvements to their theatres would make to their work in local communities. Please note that applications for technical equipment and refurbishment of soft furnishings are a low priority for the scheme.
To be eligible the applicant:
- must own or manage theatres with titles or signed leases of more than 5 years on buildings;
- demonstrate that they run a regular theatre programme of professional, community and/or amateur work presenting no less than 30 performances a year;
- and have a bona fide UK charitable or not-for-profit legal structure and be able to provide certified or audited accounts for at least two years.
The closing date for applications is noon on the 5pm on the 30th December 2020.