The Society for Microbiology provides grants to support the teaching of microbiology. The scheme is open to Full, Full Concessionary or Postgraduate Student Members; including those working in schools residing in the UK or Republic of Ireland to support relevant science teaching or promotion initiatives, or to support developments likely to lead to an improvement in the teaching of any aspect of microbiology. The maximum grant available is £1,000.
Activities funded can include:
- Talks, workshops, demonstrations, posters, leaflets, broadcasts, activities at science festivals and audio-visual or computer-based packages;
- Activities that take place as part of a National Science and Engineering Week event at the applicant’s place of work;
- Running a school or college-based science week activity (e.g. hands-on or programme of talks);
- Supporting microbiology activities in an out-of-school science club;
- Buying materials and equipment outside of normal department resources to support a microbiology activity (no more than £500 can be used toward large equipment such as microscopes and incubators);
- A class visit to a microbiology laboratory to carry out activities; and
- Organising a visit to or from a working microbiologist.
The next application round will open in January with an application deadline of the 1st April 2021.
Enquiries about this scheme should be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: +44 (0)20 3034 4882.