Sport England has launched a new Major Event Volunteer Fund to address volunteer shortages within grassroots sports. The aim of the fund is to help national governing bodies, event hosts and other organisations make it easier and more attractive for existing volunteers at national sporting events to continue their volunteering experience in sport at a community level.
The funding is available to national governing body or organisation hosting the major event that can demonstrate that they’ve a clear plan to support their major event volunteers and have identified appropriate steps which will maximise the transition rate of the volunteers into community sport volunteering opportunities.
Sport England are looking for projects that:
- Test the ability to use major sports events as a catalyst to engage and then support volunteers from all backgrounds to continue their volunteering pathway within sport
- Will specifically seek to engage volunteers who are not already volunteering within grassroots sport – funding will only be available to projects which aim to support the transition of new (or lapsed) volunteers into grassroots volunteering
- Provide high quality, meaningful volunteering experiences
- Can provide appropriate levels of support to volunteers post-event to identify further opportunities for them, which are appropriate to their skills, interests and availability
- Will engage at least 100 volunteers.
Grants of between £10,000 and £100,000 are available and the fund will be open to new applicants until January 2021.