Families facing financial hardship whilst caring for a child with a serious illness can apply for grants of up to £1,000 per child to fund a variety of essential items and services. This can include (but is not limited to) specialist equipment, creative therapies, hospital travel expenses, everyday items to improve the child’s quality of life, attending medical/support group conference, social activities and memberships.
Marvellous Family grants are open to any family residing in the UK with a child who has a serious illness that could be life-limiting as described by the following criteria:
- Group 1 – Life threatening conditions for which curative treatment may be feasible but can fail (e.g. epilepsy, irreversible organ failures of heart, liver, kidneys.)
- Group 2 – Conditions where premature death is inevitable (e.g. cystic fibrosis.)
- Group 3 – Progressive conditions without curative treatment options (e.g. Batten disease, mucopolysaccaridoses, muscular dystrophy.)
- Group 4 – Irreversible but non-progressive conditions causing severe disability leading to susceptibility to health complications and likelihood of premature death (e.g. sickle cell disease, cerebral palsy, multiple disabilities such as brain or spinal cord insult.)
- Group 5 – Syndromes without a name (SWAN) causing severe, chronic disability or illness.
Applications must be completed by health or social care professionals on behalf the family and are considered at monthly meetings.
The application deadline for the next meeting is 12pm on the 29th November 2019.