The Woodroffe Benton Foundation provides grants to officially recognised charitable organisations within the United Kingdom working on the:
- Relief of persons in need, hardship or distress by reason of disaster or as a consequence of social or economic circumstance.
- Provision/Maintenance of care and accommodation for the sick and elderly.
- Promotion of education – in particular within the Derbyshire region.
- Environmental Conservation/Preservation/Protection/Improvement – in particular where this would encourage the provision of access by members of the general public.
This Small Grants programme awards one-off grants in the range £500 to £2,500.
Charitable organisations based in the UK that are registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales, the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator or the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland are eligible to apply for a grant. Any educational institution is also eligible to apply for a grant whether or not it is a registered charity.
Previous organisations supported include:
- Action for Stammering Children
- Tower Hamlets Friends and Neighbours
- Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School, Ashbourne, Derbyshire
- Crawley Ifield Park Care Home
Applications are only considered at the Trustees’ quarterly meetings in January, April, July and October. The deadline for applications is normally six weeks prior to the meeting and applications that are received after the deadline are automatically held over for consideration at the subsequent one.