The Family Breaks fund from the Youth Hostel Association offers a free two-night stay with meals in Youth Hostels in England and Wales to families struggling with financial hardship, disability, long-term illness, bereavement, homelessness or other challenging circumstances.
One break per year at a YHA Youth Hostel (a list of participating hostels is on the website) is available to families with up to two adults and children aged 2 – 18 years (0-2 years in crisis and emergency situations) where the family has an annual household income below £25,000 (gross) and where the break will make a significant difference to the child or young person’s life. The following criteria apply:
- A child is disabled or has a life limiting or threatening condition (please refer to our disability guidance)
- The family has experienced homelessness or are living in temporary accommodation
- The family has witnessed or experienced domestic violence
- The family has experienced bereavement (either the loss of a parent or sibling)
- The family includes a young carer
- The family has lives in an area of deprivation
This application window closes on the 31st January 2019.