Adult hospices that are full members of Hospice UK and are based in the UK, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands have until the 6th December 2018 to the Rank Foundation for capital grants of up to £15,000.
Grants are available for projects that improve the physical space to encourage and enable hospices to improve the environment in which they deliver care. The programme is primarily to support capital costs but revenue costs that help deliver the capital activity can be included in the project costs – however revenue costs must not be the primary expense.
It is important that the project should demonstrate a direct benefit to patients and their families.
Types of project could include:
Converting underused space or renovate existing space into:
- family kitchenette/counselling room
- private areas/quiet areas for relatives including gardens
- the creation of bereavement suite
- improvements to mortuary viewing areas
- enlarging bedrooms to allow extended families to visit
- using art to ‘bring the outside in’ to public areas
Increasing the therapeutic value of outside areas. Such as:
- Create kitchen gardens/raised beds/sensory garden
- Seating and outside furniture
- Paths and walkways – facilitating patient access to the outdoors (e.g. wheelchair)
- Bedroom door improvements to allow beds to be taken outside
- Social and Therapeutic Horticulture projects (STH) – using plants and miniature hand made gardens to improve physical and mental health.
Please note the above examples are for guidance only and we encourage applicants to be innovative in their approach.
A total of £100,000 is available in this funding round.