The Audience Fund offered by the British Film Institute (BFI) is designed to support a range of audience orientated activities such as film festivals, distribution releases, multiplatform distribution proposals, touring film programmes, large scale and ambitious film programmes. The objectives of the Fund are to:
- Grow the diversity of audiences engaging with film
- Develop the 16- to 30-year-old audience for film
- Increase access to independent British and international film for audiences, especially those outside London
- Enhance confidence, best practice and capability of the sector
- Increase access to the UK’s screen heritage via the BFI’s National Archive of film and TV, and those of the regions and nations
- Increase engagement with BFI-supported activities and cultural programmes across the UK, and enhance the quality and cultural depth of audience experience
Organisations with proven sector experience of film distribution, exhibition and audience development in the UK offering a range of year-round activity that meets the objectives of the fund can apply for between £50,000 and £200,000. The size of the Award will depend on the scale and ambition of the proposal with multi-year funding available subject to an annual performance review and ongoing availability of National Lottery funds. Priority is given to proposals that demonstrate national reach, significant cultural ambition, value for money and inclusivity.
Eligible applicant organisations include:
- Limited liability companies or partnerships
- Community interest companies registered
- Local authority or statutory bodies
- Charities or trusts registered with the Charity Commission (including UK universities)
The closing date for Organisational Award applications for the 2019-20 financial year is 11:59pm, 5th November 2018.