Town and Parish Councils as well as local groups can apply for grants of up to £9,000 as well as technical support for the development of Neighbourhood Plans or Neighbourhood Development Orders. Neighbourhood planning is a right for communities introduced through the Localism Act 2011 and enables communities to influence future developments in their area. This could include new housing projects, shops and where offices are built.
Examples of what the grants can be used for include:
- Developing a website
- Training sessions for members of the steering group
- Help with putting together a project plan
- Undertaking a household survey
- Help with developing the evidence base; etc.
Applicants that meet the criteria below can apply for an additional £8,000 of grant funding
- Allocating sites for housing
- Including design codes in your plan
- A designated business neighbourhood plan
- A cluster of three or more parishes writing a single plan
- A Neighbourhood Area with a population of over 25,000
All funding needs to be spent within 12 months or by the end of the financial year, whichever is earliest.