The Taking Teacher Further programme is a national initiative to attract experienced industry professionals with expert technical knowledge and skills to work in Further Education. This Department for Education-funded initiative will be managed on its behalf of by the Education and Training Foundation who have also played a key role in the programme’s development.
The programme will initially run for two years to test how best to encourage and support experienced industry professionals from key sectors into FE teaching, full or part-time, and to support an ongoing exchange between FE and industry so that students can gain the knowledge and skills that employers need.
The focus will be on priority sectors, including the first T Level routes, and a fund of up to £5m will be available through a competitive process. The programme is divided into two strands: one to provide financial support for up to 150 industry experts to become FE teachers, covering the course costs of teacher training as well as support and mentoring; and another to support up to 40 innovative and scalable projects that help develop local partnerships and collaborations.
The programme is open to all Further Education providers and has five long-term aims to:
- raise the profile and prestige of FE teaching, particularly among industry professionals
- increase the overall number of skilled FE teachers in the technical routes that will be taught first (Childcare and Education, Digital, Construction), Engineering and Manufacturing and other STEM technical routes, by helping experienced industry professionals to enter the FE teaching profession
- increase the opportunity for industry-related CPD for current teachers;
- demonstrate the value of, and possibilities for, industry / FE collaboration; and
- stimulate and support local initiatives to build capacity in FE teaching and improve industry collaboration.
The programme is made up of two strands:
- Strand 1: Financial Support for Initial Teacher Education
- Strand 2: Industry and College/Provider Innovation Projects
The closing date for applications is:12 noon on 27 July 2018.