The Youth Hostel Association has announced that its “Challenging Lives” Support Programme is now open for applications. The programme offers a two-night break for children and young people at one of the Youth Hostel Associations iconic destinations. The programme aims to reach those children and young people who are or have recently experienced life threatening medical or mental health conditions, bereavement or homelessness. The programme also offers support to those living with a disability or life threatening medical conditions or who take on a caring role.
The two-day breaks on offer must make a significant difference to a group of children/ young people between the ages of 8 and 18 who meet the following criteria:
- Have a disability or life limiting or threatening condition (please refer to our disability guidance)
- Have experienced homelessness or are living in temporary accommodation
- Have witnessed or experienced domestic violence
- Have witnessed or experienced drug and alcohol abuse
- Have experienced bereavement (either the loss of a parent or sibling)
- Be young carers
- Have a sibling who is a disabled child or a child who has a life limiting or threatening condition
- Live in an area of deprivation (a guidance map is available on the website)
Schools, registered charities, community and voluntary working with children and young people are all eligible to apply.
The closing date for applications is the 1st June 2018.