The Society for Microbiology provides grants to support the teaching of microbiology. Schools that are members of the Society can apply for grants up to £1,000 for a wide variety of educational outreach activities to promote public engagement with microbiology. These can include:
- Running a school- or college-based science week activity (e.g. hands-on or programme of talks)
- Supporting microbiology activities in an out-of-school science club
- Buying materials and equipment outside of normal department resources to support a microbiology activity (no more than £500 can be used toward large equipment such as microscopes and incubators)
- A class visit to a microbiology laboratory to carry out activities
- Organising a visit to or from a working microbiologist.
The deadline for applications is 1st April 2018.